Saturday 30 January 2021

 

 

Gajalakshmi Paramasivam

30 January   2021

 

 

INTERNATIONAL CRIMINAL COURT OR UNIVERSAL FRANCHISE COURT?

 

My granddaughter Aanza said that she got her cooking skills from me and her father (our son). I felt deeply touched by this. I believe that she does;   - not so much due to any training by us but due to completed experiences. Aanza would always enjoy my cooking and I ensured that I brought my grandchildren into me, as part of myself  as the common customer I cooked for. Likewise, when I am writing,  I bring into me the most junior person who I feel has a need. Yesterday, even though I was tired after dealing with an extended  family issue, I wrote the article ‘MEDITATING FOR UN POLITICAL POWER?’. The responses were strong and very rewarding. The latest one is on Jethawanaramaya Forest Monastery (Buddhist) . The monks seem happy and ‘free’. I know of parallels in Hindu places – including Kathirgamam and Thiruketheeswaram. Do we inherit the values that the monks / holy men & women have discovered about the Absolute Power , through meditation  and natural way of life? Is this known as Universal Power based on which we govern?

As per Wikipedia Sri Lanka is the oldest democracy in Asia and  - Universal suffrage for all irrespective of race, ethnicity, language, or gender was implemented in Sri Lanka in 1931. It is obvious that Sri Lanka did not actually practice democracy and this resulted in internal wars.

As per the Australian article ‘UN accuses Sri Lanka of reversing course on war crimes’:

[The UN human rights chief has called for an International Criminal Court investigation into Sri Lanka’s Tamil separatist conflict and sanctions against generals and others accused of war crimes.

Michelle Bachelet accused Sri Lanka of reneging on promises to ensure justice for thousands of civilians killed in the final stages of the 37-year separatist war that ended a decade ago.]

I also complained to the UN of Racial Discrimination in Australia. I discussed this in Melbourne under the subject matter :

RACIAL DISCRIMINATION – A ZERO BASE APPROACH’ through - Discussion Paper Presented to the United Nations towards inclusion in the UN ANTI RACISM SUMMIT – April 200 about which I published  as follows through Sri Lanka Guardian:.

[I sent also a paper before the Battle of Vanni, to the UN High Commissioner for Human Rights. This paper was based fully on my own research and was presented under the title ‘RACIAL DISCRIMINATION – A ZERO BASE APPROACH - Discussion Paper Presented to the United Nations to be included in the UN ANTI RACISM SUMMIT – April 2009’. If Ms Pillai had been like the author, she would have responded to me using the paper as an excuse. I did not expect a response from the UN. I do the work at UN level (as per my expectations of UN standards) but do not expect direct returns from them because I have learnt through direct experience that they do not have the wisdom to recognize individuals without portfolio. Through my experience, with higher authorities including Australian Government, I believed that the work I had done had already produced outcomes, ‘waiting’ to be picked up by the right person at the right time. Ms Pillai confirmed this through her personal visit to Australia and was highly critical of the Government’s refugee policies. To me that was a positive outcome that I was able to ‘see’ due to my contribution on the issue, at UN level.]

The war peaked in May 2009 and I was there to help the victims – using my investment in fellow Sri Lankans and my belief in God.

That was how I exercised my Universal Franchise in the issue. But the more influential folks use the official avenues:

[In May 2014 immigration lawyer Tracie Aylmer lodged a complaint against Australian Prime Minister, Tony Abbott and others, in relation to Australia's treatment of asylum seekers. Ms Aylmer alleged Australia's policies violate Article 17(2) of the Rome Statute and that the Australian Government was committing atrocities in breach of Article 7 (Crimes Against Humanity) of the convention. Australian Senator Andrew Wilkie made a similar formal request that the ICC investigate these matters in October 2014. These claims are arguably supported by United Nations special rapporteur on torture Juan Mendez who found that "Australia has violated the right of the asylum seekers, including children, to be free from torture or cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment] - Wikipedia

My parallel was my own case against Mr John Howard when he was Prime Minister. Mr Howard was brought down by the exponential power of migrant vote.

So, this time even if the UN takes the matter to the ICC, one needs a person with high standards who has escalated her/his/their  personal feelings to the UN level. Such a person ought to express through one who believes in the UN. I do not know of a single political leader who qualifies in this regard.  Hence if we complain to the highest authority we believe in – the results will happen through the Universal system of belief.  Otherwise, not only the Government but the Tamil leaders are also pulling the wool over our eyes. If it goes to ICC – the first accused  would be all those who celebrate Maaveerar / Great heroes.  As per the Universal Franchise Court – we make declarations of belief.  At ICC – one needs evidence that would satisfy the global mind.  

No comments:

Post a Comment