Saturday 14 April 2018



Gajalakshmi Paramasivam

14 April 2018                                         




Truth in the New Year Messages

While supporting a high school Catholic student in Religious Education I came across the word Agape  which is  explained as follows by Wikipedia:

(Ancient Greek  is a Greco-Christian term referring to love, "the highest form of love, charity" and "the love of God for man and of man for God". The word is not to be confused with philiabrotherly love, as it embraces a universal, unconditional love that transcends and persists regardless of circumstance.)

The closest parallel in my Hindu mind, learnt through parables is that Love, Truth, God is the butter in the milk. As per my experience based discovery, Love/ Truth/ Divinity is the highest code through which rights and wrongs are balanced to maintain the authenticity of our inherent Sovereignty.

As per my understanding of  Catholic philosophy, it says that one who accepts the Kingdom of God would live through Love as if all are of one family / nation. I thought about it when adding the passage below to my current book, based largely on my Sri Lankan experiences:

[I was upset again with the Jaffna Justice system because  of the Civil Appellate High Court  of Jaffna upholding the verdict of the Mallakam District Court – that Administration was not necessary in the  Testamentary matter relating to the intestate estate of my brother in law, Yoganathan.  As per the Petition the following amounts were shown as deductions:
Amount Due to T Sabanathan                                  450,000
Funeral Expenses                                                         25,000
Legal Expenses (Advance Deposit)                          200,000
                                                                                      ----------        
                                                                                      675,000
                                                                                      =======
As an Accountant, I knew that they were in the category of  liabilities.  Param’s siblings wanted only Certificates of Heirship and not Administration. Approving  the above  was Administration. But then who would listen to me? Even our side lawyers did not highlight it emphatically. But I never lost focus of this simple principle that I learnt as an Accounting student.  I remember – the three of us – Malar, Padma and I going to my senior  Ms Chitra Arunanthi  of Satchithananda, Schokman, Wijeratne & Co,  Chartered Accountants (Presently Price Waterhouse Coopers)   for tutoring in Estate Accounting.  That experience is permanent  as part of me due to Chitra’s generosity. This to me means that the Energies have merged. Matter needs to become Energy to naturally merge to strengthen positive Energies and mitigate negative Energies.
The Testamentary  case on our side, was part of that escalating process to Energy level. This escalation was confirmed at every stage – including when I disciplined my side lawyer for not objecting to the expressions by the opposition lawyer : that I was not family. To Param’s sisters – using their own marriage arrangements,  I may not have been family. Then as per the ledgers of karma, they owed me, to the extent they received benefits – as beneficiaries. But in the case of both lawyers – the measure was the law and not the opinions of their convenience. To the opposition lawyer I said after stepping down from the witness box – that I was not a woman for sale. There I became the facility of Equal status to the judge. I represented the Public’s Truth – that the Judge had failed to discipline his own professional juniors who were using their personal opinions, desires and fears – outside the structure of law. From that point onwards the Truth took its position to work the system. ]

As a true member of the Accounting Family / the Accounting Nation, I continue to carry the fundamental values on which the Accounting civilization was developed. By actual practice of law, including through my conduct as a participant in a Court of Law, I respected those who developed the Justice civilization. The two merged naturally to manifest an outcome – that upheld the Truth to the true Believer of the merged Nation. In the court process, I  was included as part of the family but treated as outsider / foreigner at process stage. The Appeal Judgment was bad in law as it delivered a different outcome to the one applied for by our opposition. As per the ‘reasoning’ the funds were divided into UK funds and Sri Lankan funds for Administrative purposes. The reasoning was introduced by the opposition through one of their Appeal submissions. The application showed no such basis but was one consolidated amount in Sri Lankan Rupees. The division meant that we who spent in Dollars had the authority to claim in dollars out of the part that would be administered in the UK – not as heirs but as creditors. In other words, Preferential heirs under Thesawalamai law, became  creditors under British law due to the claim that I was NOT family. Two wrongs in law made a right in Truth. I believe that this happened due to me being genuine and natural member of both systems.

With this mindset, I read the New Year messages from the Sri Lankan  Prime Minister and the President respectively – published at the Government’s news site:

‘Sinhala and Tamil New Year is the foremost national festivity celebrated across the country in the splendour of spring. It provides the ideal setting to deepen relationships with each other and share our rich cultural heritage.’ Prime Minister – the Hon Ranil Wickremesinghe

'Aluth Avurudda' is indeed an introduction of a new human with a new vision and a new attitude to the society. By conforming a study of oneself during the transitional time of the inauspicious period, this advanced person performs New Year rituals, enters the society as a close relative carrying the message of peaceful co-existence and social reconciliation.’ – President - his Excellency Maithripala Sirisena
The highest order answers to all. Hence the need for escalation. Mr Ranil Wickremesinghe presents heritage value and to deepen relationships towards this.
Mr Maithripala Sirisena talks of rituals, co-existence and reconciliation, confirming the plateauing of commonness at the lower level.
The Truth I see is that Sri Lanka has a Sinhalese President and a Sri Lankan Prime Minister. Neither one is right nor wrong. The pathways are different. The National Trunk route is slim in the former but the rural spread is wider. The rural spread in the Prime Minister’s pathway is not as wide but the National Trunk route leading to Global merger is much stronger and confirms natural merger with minorities.  Happy New Year to both.

No comments:

Post a Comment