Wednesday 8 September 2021

 

Gajalakshmi Paramasivam

08 September   2021

 

 

Experiencing ‘Most Fallible’

In 1976, I was teaching Accounts at St Bridget’s Convent in Colombo 7, on part time basis – at the request of Mr Huzam Cader. One of the students gave me a picture of Our Lady of Velankanni, in Tamil Nadu, in appreciation of my service. The day was – 08 September - the Feast of Mother Velankanni – Our Lady of Good Health. Whenever I focused and prayed to Mother Velankanni, my prayers were answered. Today, also, miraculously I achieved a milestone in structuring English tutoring service to Sri Lankan students in rural areas- seeking to move to Colombo for further education. During discussions this morning, I was reminded of that experience not only because it was Our Lady’s Feast but also because I learnt from one of my student  - the artful use of ‘most fallible’. Back then the student who was questioned by me said ‘Ms I am most fallible’. I understood the meaning and appreciated her artful usage. Later I remembered the young lady and followed her art form. During the inquiry by Kerry O’Reilly – Acting Manager – Finance – at the University of NSW - on 28 July 1998, I used the phrase as follows:

[I consider Journal reasons to be very important and my standard practice is to reflect such details as much as possible. Andrew Kell and Phil Dulhunty would confirm that this was one of the first matters that I discussed with them and insisted on being adhered to. I asked you whether you had checked the narration using F9 button, and you confirmed that you were not familiar with it. I said also that it was possible that I had missed the narration – as a I am most fallible – but would ensure that I take greater care in future.]

The driving force here was my commonness with Phil, who offered to explain to Kerry that he had recorded the transaction, but I had already taken responsibility. It was Phil who later brought to my notice that on 05 November 1998, the Sydney Morning Herald had published a negative report by the Auditor General – highlighting most of the deficiencies I had already highlighted about the University’s Budgetary system. That is the Universal power of Truth/Belief. In return for Accounting knowledge, I learnt about Machiavelli, from Phil.

There is a particular reason for sharing all this today. Mr Maravanpulavu K. Sachithananthan has included me in his response to Dr Ratnajeevan Hoole’s article headed  Nallur Kandasamy Of “The-Other-Side” Nallur Versus St. James’ Of “Town-Side” Nellore - Colombo Telegraph.

Most Hindus of Jaffna origin would know that the 25 day Nallur Festival which began on 13 August, was telecast for us. When I watched and prayed from Coogee, I went into virtual reality mode. The highlight was the Chariot festival on Sunday. It was a beautiful experience and I thanked all the priests who went that extra mile to bring us the real experience. I kept thanking them from the bottom of my heart.

In his above mentioned article, Hoole statesFollowing replacement of the Central Temple by a Roman Chapel, historic documents refer to the Nellore Temple having been built by Chembaha Perumal. There is deliberate spinning between the razed temple and the new to make the present temple seem old. The Wikipedia says, “According to the Yalpana Vaipava Malai, the temple was developed at the site (NB) in the 13th century by Buwaneka Bahu, a minister to the King of Kotte. Chembaha Perumal is credited with building the third Nallur Kandaswamy temple”. Where were the first and second? Other so-called encyclopedic sources say, “the Temple’s foundation was laid in 948 AD. … Due to invasion of foreigners, the temple had to be relocated several times in different places within [the] Nallur area.” Nonsense.]

 

I have heard about the Yalpana Vaibava Malai but have not read it. But my experience of Nallur is real. I grew up praying to Nallur Murugan. When I thought I needed something, I fasted and prayed. Nothing was too small or too big. To me that is My Nallur. This time my prayers included the priests’ welfare and thanks giving also for the consolidated power that brought back the three year old A J Anthony for whose return his mother and her community prayed to St Anthony – the patron saint of lost things. At the deep level – that Divine Energy is formless.

 

As per Wikipedia  – ‘Hoole is Professor of Electrical and Computer Engineering at Michigan State University in the US

To have authority over other subject matters Hoole needs to have the experience based Belief. Mere statements of relativity confirm abuse of academic title. In Democracy, the customer/reader/ is at the top of the hierarchy. Wikipedia confirms this in journalism as follows:

[The inverted pyramid is taught to mass communication and journalism students, and is systematically used in English-language media]

As per Nielson Norman Group

[In journalism, the inverted pyramid refers to a story structure where the most important information (or what might even be considered the conclusion) is presented first. The who, what, when, where and why appear at the start of a story, followed by supporting details and background information. This writing style is different than, for exampleacademic writing, where an abstract may summarize the main findings, but the content typically focuses first on the details, leading to the conclusion which appears at the end of the article.]

Hoole concludes as follows:

[The real Nellore is vanishing. The usurper Nallur stands on sufi soil and is in bad hands; the hands of people who use caste to attack others and try to enhance their caste, but will say to talk about the evils of caste is to practise caste.]

The reality in Jaffna is Thesawalamai order. As per Thesawalamai law back then – caste was very much part of our system as was dowry. Both were valid due to separation of powers as per the category of work performed. Caste practice continues even now in the outer suburbs. The wider the cultural gap – the greater the distance needed. My way of compensating for abuse of caste system by my group (senior caste) is to actively live with them in their village. Hoole by choice chose to buy land in senior caste area of Nallur. In terms of schooling – Hoole’s alma mater – St John’s College is high class – relative to Thunaivi School. The separation helps minimise caste based discrimination. With separation devolution becomes more of a reality. His attitude is referred to as - The Wolf is crying on seeing the Goat getting wet in rain!/ “Aadu nanaigirathenru ohnai azhukirathaam”.

I do not know about Hoole but most Tamil men known to me got a dowry when they got married.

The ‘certifications’ by Hoole in the case of Nallur are invalid and misleading. Colombo Telegraph has the duty to check whether their indicator that he is a Professor in the subject matter under which the article has been written – is true.

If not both owe apologies to the Sri Lankan Public.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment