Thursday 29 September 2016

Gajalakshmi Paramasivam
29  September   2016


Sri Lankan President’s UN Speech

I was writing about how I interpreted the call by Tamil Chief Minister – the Hon C.V.Wigneswaran – on the basis of my own experience in relation to Prescriptive Title claims, when the email from our Lawyer Mr. Visvalingam Manivannan arrived, confirming that our Application for Leave to Appeal was approved. The hearing of the Appeal as per that email has been fixed for  23 November 2016. Through the above article I was saying ‘Thank You’ – yet again to Swami Sathya Sai Baba. The arrival of the information that the next hearing has been fixed to be heard on the birth Anniversary of Swami Sathya Sai Baba, at that particular time – was interpreted by me as blessing from Above for both matters before the Sri Lankan Judiciary. Soon I realized that this would mean that I would not be able to attend the special function organized by my husband’s nephew in Brisbane around that time. My husband said he would not attend either. I had to accept that because my husband set aside his feelings against attendance, to oblige me when I asked him to go with me. My husband did not want to after this particular nephew failed to include my husband in the wedding of my husband’s other nephew. They are both nephews through my husband’s elder brothers. I realized yet again that the system of Truth works independent of us to support the Truth we carry. I said to my husband that it felt as if his brother Yoganathan whose Estate the above case was about – was giving his ruling that we should not attend the function of someone who had failed in his duty to pay his respects as per Common Family Values. My husband’s duty was first to his brother. Hence it was also my duty. The nephews – both of Vaddukoddai origin, did not take their places in the Thesawalamai (Jaffna Customary Law) hierarchy despite us trying to educate them about their duties. I thought more and more about how the true law of the land protects and supports everyone who is true to the land. One who believes does not need logic.

This morning I read the article ‘President’s UN Speech: Some Reflections On The Narrative & Emphasis On Buddhism’ by Dr. Laksiri Fernando who is a fellow member of the Sri Lanka Reconciliation forum Sydney. My emails are sent to this Forum also. Hence I took it as including a response to my stand on the above subject matter. Again – as in the above matter, it may not be conscious. But where both are genuine – the connections happen. Sri Lanka is not one person’s alone. To the extent Sri Lanka is home to me – I would recognize Sri Lanka’s support in one form or the other when I have a need. When Sri Lanka is my home – my need is Sri Lanka’s and v.v.

Dr. Laksiri presents his argument as follows:

[Self-Centred Nature
To put it bluntly, the narrative of the speech appears quite self-centred, or rather authoritarian, using the first person singular expression of ‘I’ 21 times in a text of around 950 words, as published by the President’s media unit (now available in the UN website). A statement such as the following on ‘poverty alleviation’ is quite odd from a democratic country and a democratic president.
“I am determined to alleviate poverty in my country. I declared 2017 as the Year of ‘Alleviation of Poverty’ in Sri Lanka. I have given lead to creating the basic platform for the people to free themselves [from] poverty in a county that prioritizes economic progress.”]

The current President is more likely to have said ‘we’ at the UN had he been part of the group that defeated the Tamil Tigers – the reason why Sri Lanka gets prominence at UN level.

Dr. Laksiri Fernando explains his interpretation of the Sri Lankan President’s speech in relation to Buddhism as follows:

[Reference to Buddhism
Most controversial might be the President’s reference to ‘Sri Lanka as a Buddhist country’ at the UN speech. When the transcript was first issued by the President’s media unit (reproduced in the Colombo Telegraph), the wording appeared more controversial than what appeared later or now. Therefore, there was understandable disappointment or criticism. One reason was that the reference to Buddhism was given out of context, in two paragraphs, referring first to ‘war and terrorism’ in the country. It was not the reference to war or terrorism that was wrong, but the reference to Buddhism in that context, devaluing its universal value philosophically at a fora like the UN.
Then in the second paragraph, it was bluntly transcribed that “Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country, where Theravada Buddhism is practiced.” This appeared like a sectarian proclamation instead of emphasizing Buddhism’s philosophical or scientific value. This is still the case in the English version posted in the UN website. However, the original speech in Sinhala now posted in the same website gives a more balanced view which probably was the intention of the President. Now the statement is in one paragraph in the original Sinhala version. What is the fuss, one may ask? Let me give the official English posting first and then my translation from the original Sinhala next.
“In many parts of the world, we see the unfortunate proliferation of anger, hatred, and brutality. I would call that the contemporary society is experiencing a crisis of morality. I believe that all states should pay heed to the cry for moral values. I believe that every society must dedicate itself to raise its share of positive moral values.
Sri Lanka is a Buddhist country, where Theravada Buddhism is practiced. The teachings of the Buddha help us find solutions to many of the burning issues of the contemporary world. Similarly, I am sure the wisdom offered by the great world religions such as Christianity, Hinduism, Islam and others can help us today. As such, I am of the view that we, as states, can strengthen and foster those religions and philosophies that help us look inward.”
More accurate translation of the original might be the following.
‘Honourable President, in many countries in the world today, in the prevailing international contexts, we see wars, war like situations, and sometimes more barbaric conditions along with disunity, hatred and societies gripped with hatred. Here, the absence of a moral fibre necessary for our human society is a major problem. In today’s conflict ridden societies, the need to build a citizenry based on morality is important, and I believe all countries should give priority to this need. Sri Lanka as a Buddhist country, I believe that the wisdom revealed by the Theravada Buddhist philosophy would be extremely important for resolving many problems in the world today. Similarly, I believe it is necessary for all countries to strengthen and expand religious and spiritual philosophies based on Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and other religions, in resolving civilizational problems that we are faced with.’
Here it is clear that it is not a proclamation that the President made Sri Lanka as a Buddhist country where Theravada Buddhism is practiced. He took the example “Sri Lanka as a Buddhist country” (Sri Lankawa baudhha ratak vidihata) and emphasized Buddhism’s importance. There is a difference between the two. His emphasis was on the role of religion and spiritual philosophies in ‘resolving civilizational problems that we are faced with.’]
I am one who interpreted the President’s statement as an ‘outsider’. My interpretation is as per my Truth. This I believe would also connect me to the Truth of the Sri Lankan President as a Sri Lankan. To my mind, the President’s claim of Sri Lanka being a Buddhist Country IS connected to the Tamil Tigers and it was NOT out of context.

Dr. Laksiri Fernando is confirming this as follows:

[It was not the reference to war or terrorism that was wrong, but the reference to Buddhism in that context, devaluing its universal value philosophically at a fora like the UN.]
Had Buddhism been used as a causal force consciously or otherwise – it is the DUTY of the system of Truth to show this connection between Buddhism and the Sri Lankan war at a time when at least one person needs the confirmation to be shown. The Sri Lankan President even though he was politically incorrect,  spoke the Truth. Likewise, his parallel within the Tamil Community – the Hon C.V.Wigneswaran – when he made the call for Tamils to awaken themselves.  They were both being Natural in their religious environments in their respective minds and hence were confirming that their religions came before the whole. Even though they seemed to be speaking to wider world – they were both speaking to their local voters who have become their wider world. Officially speaking Mr. Wigneswaran was within his local boundaries but not so President Sirisena.

We the People to whom Sri Lanka is truly home – have the power to invoke the Truth of leaders through our own Truth. I believe I have thus invoked the Truth of many Australian leaders which resulted in them losing their titles. That is how karma works. If I reject the demotion enforced on me – and I am a true owner – I reverse the karma to sender. Obviously there was not enough UN investment by Sri Lankan Buddhists to prevent the President from revealing his Truth which is anti-democratic. At least one Tamil investing at UN level as if s/he was part of the UN was needed to invoke this Truth residing in the Sri Lankan President as an opposition, within the UN.

Dr. Laksiri Fernando quotes the President as having stated:

Sri Lanka as a Buddhist country, I believe that the wisdom revealed by the Theravada Buddhist philosophy would be extremely important for resolving many problems in the world today. Similarly, I believe it is necessary for all countries to strengthen and expand religious and spiritual philosophies based on Christianity, Islam, Hinduism and other religions, in resolving civilizational problems that we are faced with.

The call for religious following comes with the assurance of religious freedom/Independence. In Hinduism – the leading example of Political leadership is in Mahabharatham. As per that Legend, one must use the path of war with an opposition/enemy that refuses to come to the negotiating table. It does not preach Reconciliation. Neither is it possible to reconcile and be independent at the same time.


No comments:

Post a Comment